• Edmund Hauser and Sophie Schick


BOOK A ROOM

Of course you can also book by phone or inquire by E-mail:
Tel.: +43.7242.45409 E-Mail: office@hotelhauser.com

From a guest house to a boutique hotel

The first mention of the town house in Wels in official documents was in 1512, but it can be assumed that the area was built up by 1300. The site originally played host to the profession of cutler, then the guild of butchers was here for a long time.
Food and drink have been served at the “Zum weißen Hahn” guest house since the Biedermeier era, and from 1873 the guest house was called “Zur Post” because of the K.& K. post office where horses were exchanged.

In 1937 the building was bought by Edmund Hubertus Hauser Sr. and founded as the family company “Hotel Post”. At that point, the operation comprised a simple guest house with ten rooms.
Back then it functioned as the pub for Wels residents and visitors to Wels. Guests included well-known actors such as Hans Moser, Theo Lingen and Peter Alexander, who were involved in the film recordings taking place in Wels at the time known as the “Hollywels”.

As a result of the early death of Edmund Hauser Sr., his son Edmund Hubertus Hauser Jr. took over the operation in the mid-1960s and ran it together with his mother Frida Hauser.

In the mid-1970s there was a restructure of the restaurant. Thanks to the family roots in Kremstal in Gedersdorf, Edi Hauser Jr. opened up the “Steinfeder Gartl” wine tavern, which is legendary in Wels. The first ice cream parlour in Wels, the “Da Capo”, then opened in the early 1980s. In the mid-1980s the restaurant was closed and only the “Hotel Hauser” continued, which later joined the Austria Classic Hotels and for a long time was called the “Austria Classic Hotel Hauser”.

In parallel to this development, from 1977 onwards work was carried out together with the well-known Wels architect Gerhard Zwettler to convert and expand the room area into a 4* hotel operation in several stages.

Mr Zwettler combined the historical substance of the town house with international architecture and design with a great deal of feeling, maintaining the cosy feel.

The expansion to 42 hotel rooms and 3 seminar rooms was completed in the last major renovation in 2006. The restoration of the vault and the shed, the old courtyard stables where post carriages were kept, was particularly successful.

In 2008 the hotel was renamed “Boutique Hotel Hauser”. In 2009, Edi Hauser’s daughter Sophie Schick took over the operation, making her the third generation to run the family hotel. She inherited her sense of hospitality and interest in innovation. She continues to work with the architect, Mr Zwettler, to make improvements and carry out renovations, such as the recent redesign of the outer façade and the hotel entrance.


BOOK A ROOM

Of course you can also book by phone or inquire by E-mail:
Tel.: +43.7242.45409 E-Mail: office@hotelhauser.com